Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Just Another Day


Just when I think Michael’s OCD is just my imagination he does something crazy. Yesterday he decided to dust under the beds. I’m not kidding. He and Wagner have toddler-sized brooms and after they swept the hall they decided to sweep our room. That’s when Michael noticed the colossal piles of dust under the bed and took out the feather duster. It’s probably not the right environment for someone with sensitive lungs, but he was so into it! Granted, he didn’t do a very good job, but of course, I haven’t managed to do better in the three years we’ve been there and the kid is only two and a half years old, so I let it go.

Today I gave him a pair of his favorite socks. Last night he had to put his dirty socks in the hamper.

‘Those my favorite socks!” he reminded me.

“I’ll wash them tonight and you can wear them tomorrow.”

“Thank you!” he said with a broad smile. “That would make me happy.”

Meanwhile, Wagner is sitting in a box pretending to be a kitty cat.

It’s kind of like that scene in Parenthood where one cousin speaks Spanish and knows all her square roots and the other cousin likes to put a bucket on his head and run into the wall.

I must admit that I did not do laundry and wash Michael’s favorite socks. I was on Facebook. I’d feel guilty about that except that those aren’t really Michael’s favorite socks. Those white socks are from the Gap and are size 12-24 months which means they are too short to pull up over his knees. The socks that are from Children’s Place and are size 3 – 4 pull up over the knees, just the way he likes them. So the fact that I was able to offer Michael the socks he really loves instead of the socks he thinks he loves actually made me feel like a better mother than if I had just done what I said I would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment