Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 1: The Write On, Mamas! Blog-Off of 2012


I started a Blog Off. I probably can’t really say that because I’m the only one who knows about it right now.

You see, my writing group (Write On, Mamas!) is starting an Indiegogo fundraising campaign so we can self-publish an anthology of our work. The campaign hasn’t started yet, but when it does, I know I will have to start doing the thing I like least: asking people for money. So I thought I’d combine it with one of the things I enjoy most: writing. For each day of our campaign I will write a blog post of 100 words or more on a topic that has to do with writing and likely will have to do with the meta-theme of writing about asking people for money. Of course, at the end of each post, I will ask people for money.

That’s the backstory. Here’s my post for Day 1:

Every morning I get the quote of the day from Goodreads. Then I slap a label on the quote and the quote gets filed on the cloud. “writing/spam” for boring quotes. “writing/save” for not-boring quotes, and “interesting/inspirational” for quotes that I don’t want to forget.

So for Day 1 of the Blog Off, I decided to pick an inspirational quote at random and write about it.

My all-time favorite inspirational quote is Joseph Campbell’s paraphrasing of the advice given to a young native American standing at the edge of a chasm.

“Jump,” the wise man tells him. “It's not as far as you think.”

Isn’t that great? Don’t you feel smarter just for having read it? For that matter, don’t I look smarter just for having mentioned this quote in the first place? That’s why people quote smart people. To look smart without actually having to put the smart thoughts together themselves.

And that’s why I decided to pick an inspirational quote at random for my first blog post. Only I didn’t randomly pick Joseph Campbell. I picked Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler.)

Here it is:
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats.
-- Lemony Snicket

It doesn’t quite fire up the belly in the same way. I guess I’ll have to close on a different quote.

After all, tomorrow is another day.

Stay tuned for Day 2 (and 3, 4, 5, 6...)

1 comment:

  1. "I'm sure you have heard it said that appearance does not matter so much, and that it is what's on the inside that counts. This is, of course, utter nonsense, because if it were true then people who were good on this inside would never have to comb their hair or take a bath, and the whole world would smell even worse than it already does."

    O.K., truth is: although I've bought LS books for Connor, I've never read more than a page or two. But here's another quote. Nonna

    ReplyDelete